Roles and responsibilities
I am the Director of Research and Development for Materials and Devices at the Advanced Electronic and Photonics Research Centre. In this position I manage 5 research teams and ensure they have the means to contribute to achieve current program objectives as well as make strategic long-term investments that will ensure the sustainability of our research organisation. The focus of the MD directorate is in the exploration of novel semiconductor materials, the design of novel electronic and photonic components with unparalleled performance, their integration in modules and systems and their testing for application in telecommunication or sensing. We work closely with the Fabs directorate of AEP to develop fabrication processes for those components, and, as technologies mature, transfer them from proof of concept to new product introduction.
1993 Ph.D. in Physics at the University of Grenoble, France (1stClass Honours).
1990 Masters in Optoelectronics and Microwave at the National Polytechnical Institute of Grenoble (INPG), France.
1990 Electronics and Telecommunications Engineer (1stClass Honours) at INPG.
Reviewer for CRC, NSERC, CSA, CFI, OCE, MMO, FQRNT, IRAP and the Technology Foundation STW of Netherlands (more than 40 reviews); member of the college of reviewer for the IRDF program (more than 50 reviews)
Reviewer for 17 different international journals (more than 60 papers).
2007-2018: adjunct professor with the Physics Department of the University of Ottawa.
Supervised students, reviewed MSc and PhD theses as part of the Ottawa Carleton Institute of Physics for graduate studies; invited lecturer.
1999-2013 Member of the Canadian Association of Physicists
1999, 01, 03, 05 Member of Organizing Committee of the Canadian Semiconductor Technology Conference, 3 time Exhibit co-chair, Editor in 2005.
2001 Chair, Workshop on Organics for Photonics and Electronics, Ottawa, August 13.
1998 Member of Organizing Committee, Workshop on Organic Materials for Micro-electronics.
1999-2011 Member of IMS health and safety committee. Secretary 2004-2007
1998-2001 Chair, IMS seminars
Inventions and patents
12) T-Y Chu, C. Py, Y. Tao, Z. Zhang and A. Dadvand, Development of printed pattern for microfabrication, US provisional application, 2014, PCT/CA2016/050768.
11) G. Diaz, D.D.M. Wayner, C.Py, G.Mealing, “Novel Surface-Chemical Gradients. Methods and Devices.”. US provisional 61/684,178, Aug 17 2012.
10) C.Py and K.Faid, “High Resolution 3D Moulding and Uses Thereof” PCT patent application PCT/CA2005/000682, 4 May 2006.
9) G. Mealing, C.Py, M.Denhoff, R.Dowlatshahi, K.Faid and R.Voicu, “Patterned Cell Network Substrate Interface and Methods and Uses Thereof”, PCT patent application PCT/CA05/000682, 5 May 2005.
8) B. Lamontagne and C. Py, “Micro-Blinds for Windows and the Method of Fabrication“, US patent US 7684105, September 7, 2006; Canadian patent CA 2537569.
7) K.Faid, C.Py and F. Bensebaa, “Molecularly-Imprinted Chemical Detection Device and Method”, PCT patent application CA2004/000240, 24 Feb 2003, US patent US7459316, Canadian patent CA 2434425.
6) M.Leclerc, J-F.Morin, M.D’Iorio, I. Levesque and C.Py, “The use of conjugated polycarbazole derivatives in Organic Light Emitting Diodes”, US patent US 6630254 and Canadian patent CA 2344084, April 2001.
5) J.Dubowski, Y.Tao and C.Py, “laser-based method for precision and reduced damage patterning of multilayer structures”, US patent US 6719916 (April 13, 2004), Canadian patent CA2381643 (Aug 3, 2010).
4) C.Py, “An inorganic separator stack to micro-pattern organic layers”, US patent application 60/167,629 and Canadian patent application 2,291,302, Dec 1, 1999.
3) C.Py and P.D.Grant, “Field-emission displays with focusing/deflection gates”, U.S. Patent US 6069599, March 24, 1997.
2) T.Leroux & C.Py, "A system to control the shape of a charged particle beam", European Patent EP 92403558, 28 Dec 1992.
1) R.Baptist & C.Py, "Ionization Gauge", French patent, European Patent EP 92402095, 31 Dec 1991.
50) G. Xiao, P. Aflaki, S. Lang, Z. Zhang, Y. Tao, C. Py, P. Lu, C. Martin, and S. Chang, “Printed UHF RFID Reader Antennas for Potential Retail Applications”, accepted in IEEE Journal of RFID, 2018, 2(1) p31-34, 2018.
49) Chu T-Y., Zhang Z., Dadvand A., Py C., Lang S. and Tao Y., “Direct writing of Inkjet-Printed Short Channel Organic Thin Film Transistors”, Organic Electronics 51, p485-9, 2017.
48) Graddage N., Py C., Ding H., Lee J. and Tao Y., “Smart drug package based on the multiplexed monitoring of screen printed resistive tracks”, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 6(3), p335-452016, 2016.
47) Lu J., Dadvand A., Py C., Chu T-Y, Movileanu R., “Inkjet printable and low annealing temperature gate-dielectric based on polymethylsilsesquioxane for flexible n-channel OFETs”, Organic Electronics 30, p213-8, 2016
46) Graddage N., Ta-Ya Chu T-Y, Ding H., Py C., Dadvand A. and Tao Y., “Inkjet printed thin and uniform dielectrics for capacitors and organic thin film transistors enabled by the coffee ring effect”, Organic Electronics 29, p114-119, 2016
45) Bosca A., Martina M and Py C, “Planar Patch-clamp for Neuronal Networks – Considerations and Future Perspectives” in Patch-Clamp Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1183, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4939-1096-0_6, © Springer Science+Business Media New York, 2014.
44) Py C., Denhoff M., Sabourin N., Weber J., Shiu M. and Zhao P., “Priming and testing silicon patch-clamp neurochips”, New Biotechnology, 31 (5) pp. 430-435, 2014.
43) Martinez, D., Py, C., Denhoff, M., Monette, R., Comas, T., Krantis, A. and Geoffrey Mealing G., “Polymer peel-off mask for high resolution surface derivatization, neuron placement and guidance”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 110(8), pp2236-41, 2013
42) Py, C., Martina, M., Monette, R., Comas, T., Denhoff, M. W., Luk, C., Syed, N. I., Mealing, G., “Culturing and Electrophysiology of Cells on NRCC Patch-Clamp Chips.” J. Vis. Exp., e3288, DOI: 10.3791/3288, 2012.
41) C. Py, M. Martina, G.A. Diaz-Quijada, C.C. Luk, D. Martinez, M.W. Denhoff, A. Charrier, T. Comas, R. Monette, A. Krantis, N.I. Syed and G.A.R. Mealing, “From understanding cellular function to novel drug discovery: the role of planar patch-clamp array chip technology”, invited review in Special Topic on “Ion channel screening: advances in technologies and analysis” in Frontiers in Pharmacology of Ion Channels and Channelopathies, 2(51) pp 1-16, 2011
40) D. Diaz-Quijada, C. Maynard, T. Comas, R. Monette, C. Py, A. Krantis and G. Mealing “Surface Patterning with Chemisorbed Chemical Cues for Advancing Neurochip Applications”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 50 (17), pp 10029–10035, 2011.
39) M. Martina, C. Luk, C. Py, D. Martinez, R. Monette, T. Comas, M. Denhoff, N. Syed and G. A. R. Mealing, “Interrogation of Cultured Neurons and Synaptic Activity using Patch-Clamp Chips”, Journal of Neural Engineering 8, 034002 (10pp), 2011.
38) C. Py, D. Salim, R. Monette, T. Comas, J. Fraser, D. Martinez, M. Martina, and G. Mealing, “Cell to aperture interaction in patch-clamp chips visualized by fluorescence microscopy and focused-ion beam sections”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering 108(8), p1936-41, 2011.
37) G. Mealing and C. Py, “Patch-clamp Array Neurochips: Value in Interrogating Simple Neuronal Networks with High Resolution”, Invited Editorial, Expert Review of Medical Devices 8(1) p3-5, 2011.
36) D. Martinez, M. Martina, R. Monette, T. Comas, L. Kremer, D. Salim, C. Py, M.W. Denhoff and G. Mealing, “Development of patch-clamp chips for mammalian cell applications”, invited contribution to the special issue of Micro and Nanosystems on “Synergistic development of microfluidic systems and cellomics”, 2(4), p274-79, 2010.
35) D. Poitras, C. Py and C.-C. Kuo (2010). High-Contrast OLEDs with High-Efficiency, Organic Light Emitting Diode, Marco Mazzeo (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-140-4, InTech, (p125-142) Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/high-contrast-oleds-with-high-efficiency
34) D. Martinez, C.Py, M. Denhoff, M. Martina, R. Monette, T. Comas, G. Mealing, C. Luk and N. Syed, “High-fidelity patch-clamp recordings from neurons cultured on a polymer microchip”, Biomedical Microdevices 12(6), p977-85, 2010.
33) C. Py, M. Denhoff, M.Martina, R.Monette, T.Comas, T.Ahuja, D.Martinez, S.Wingar, J.Caballero, S.Laframboise, J. Mielke, A.Bogdanov, C.Luk, N.Syed, G.Mealing, “A novel silicon patch-clamp chip permits high-fidelity recording of ion channel activity from functionally defined neurons”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering 107(4) 593-600, 2010.
32) A Charrier, D. Martinez, R. Monette, T. Comas, R. Movileanu, C. Py, M. Denhoff, A. Krantis and G. Mealing “Cell Placement and Guidance on Substrates for Neurochip Interfaces”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering 105(2), 368-373, 2010.
31) D. Poitras, C-C Kuo and C. Py, “Design of a high-contrast OLED with microcavity effect”, Optics Express, 16(11) 8003-8015, 2008.
30) C. Py, D. Poitras, C-C Kuo and H. Fukutani, “High-contrast Organic Light Emitting Diodes with a partially absorbing anode”, Optics Letters 33(10), p1126-8, May 2008.
29) R.Voicu, K.Faid, A.Farah, F.Bensebaa, R.Barjovanu, C.Pyand Y.Tao, “Nanotemplating for 2D Molecular Imprinting”, Langmuir, 23 (10), 5452 -5458, 2007.
28) J. Bardwell and C.Py, guest editors, proceedings of the 12th Canadian Semiconductor Technology Conference, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 24(3) May/June 2006 (305 pages).
27) C.Py, T.C.Gorjanc, T.Hadizad J.Zhang and Z.Y.Wang, “Hole mobility and electroluminescence properties of a dithiophene indenofluorene”, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 24(3), 654-6, May/June 2006.
26) M. Bani-Yaghoub, R. Tremblay, R. Voicu, G. Mealing, R. Monette, M. Sikorska, C. Py, K.Faid and M.Sikorska “Neurogenesis and neuronal communication on biocompatible neurochips”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 92(3), p336-345, 2005
25) K. Faid, R. Voicu, M. Bani-Yaghoub, R. Tremblay, C. Py, R. Barjovanu, “Rapid fabrication and chemical patterning of polymer microstructures and their applications as a platform for cell cultures”, Biomedical Microdevices 7(3), 179-84, 2005.
24) T. Hadizad, J. Zhang, Z. Y. Wang, T.C.Gorjanc and C.Py, “A general synthetic route to indenoflourene derivatives as new organic semiconductors”, Organics Letters, 7(5), 795, 2005.
23) F. Bensebaa, P. L’Ecuyer, K. Faid, C. Py, T. Tague and R. Jackson “Grazing angle infrared microspectroscopy of patterned self-assembled monolayers”, Applied Surface Science, 243 (1-4), p238-244, 2005.
22) X. Liu, D. Poitras, Y. Tao, C. Py, “Microcavity Organic LEDs with Double Sided Light Emission of different colors”, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 22(3), 764, 2004.
21) X. Liu, D. Poitras, Y. Tao, C. Py, J.Alcock “Optically pumped lasing from organic microcavity”, Canadian Journal of Physics, 82(6), p 481-487, 2004.
20) X. Liu, C. Py, Y. Tao, Y. Li, J. Ding and M. Day “Low-threshold amplified spontaneous emission and laser emission in a polyfluorene derivative”, Applied Physics Letters 84(15) 2727, 2004.
19) T.C. Gorjanc, I. Lévesque, C. Py, M. D'Iorio,"Oligo-p-phenylevinylene organic thin-film transistors with chemically modified dielectric surfaces", J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, 22, 760-763, 2004.
18) P. Servati, S. Prakash, A. Nathan and C.Py, “Amorphous Silicon Driver Circuits for OLED Displays”, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 20(4), p1374-1378, 2002.
17) T. Gorjanc, D. Leong, C.Py and D. Roth, “Room Temperature Deposition of ITO Using RF Magnetron Sputtering”, Thin Solid Films, 413(1-2), p181-185, 2002.
16) C. Py, D.Roth, I.Levesque, J.Stapledon and A. Donat-Bouillud “An integrated shadow-mask based on a stack of inorganic insulators for high-resolution OLEDs using evaporated or spun-on materials”, Synthetic Metals 122(1), p225-227, 2001.
15) C.Py, M.D’Iorio, Y.Tao, J.Stapledon and P.Marshall, “A passive matrix addressed organic electroluminescent display using a stack of insulators as row separators”, Synthetic Metals, 113 (1-2), p155-159, 2000.
14) Y. Tao, A. Donat-Bouillud, M. D’iorio, J. Lam, T.Gorjanc and C.Py, “Luminescence Properties of End-Substituted Oligo(Phenylene Vinylene)s”, Synthetic Metals, 111-112, p417-420, 2000.
13) C.Py, “Beam steering by integrated electrodes for brighter FEDs”, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 18(2), p679-682, 2000.
12) C.Py, M. Gao, S. Das, P. Grant, P. Marshall and L. Lebrun, “Double-gated Microtip Emitters for Brighter Field-Emission Displays“, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A 18(2), p626-629, 2000.
11) Y. Tao, A. Donnat-Bouillud, M. D’iorio, J. Lam, T.Gorjanc and C.Py, “Organic light emitting diodes based on end-substituted Oligo(Phenylene Vinylene)s”, Thin Solid Films, 363(1-2), 298-301, 2000.
10) S.Chiu, M.Buchanan, E.Dupont, C.Py and H.C.Liu, “Substrate removal for improved performance of QWIP-LED devices grown on GaAs substrates”, Infrared Phys. Technol., 41(1), p51-60, 2000.
9) P.Grant, C.Py, C.Mößner, A.Blais, H.Tran and M.Gao, “Electron field emission from diamond-like carbon, a correlation with surface modifications”, Journal of Applied Physics, 87(3), p1356-1360, 2000.
8) C.Py, M. Gao and P.D.Grant, “A silicon microtips Field-Emission Display prototype”, Physics in Canada, 54(8), 217, 1998.
7) C.Py, J.Itoh, T.Hirano & S.Kanemaru, "Beam focusing characteristics of silicon microtips with an in-plane lens", IEEE Trans. On Electron Devices, 44(3), p498-502, 1997.
6) J.A.Dobrowolski, P.D.Grant, P.Laou, L.Li, C.Möbner, L.M.Plante, C.Py, I.Shih, R.H.Simpson, B.T.Sullivan, H.T.Tran, A.J.Waldorf, "Advanced Display Technologies in NRC", Physics in Canada, 52(5), 1996.
5) R. Baptist, C. Bieth and C. Py, "A vacuum Bayard-Alpert gauge with microtips", Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 14(2), 1996.
4) C.Py and J.Itoh, "Feasibility of a vacuum microelectronics voltage comparator", Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 34(1), 1995.
3) C.Py and R.Baptist, "Low-energy electron interferences with Spindt-type microtips", Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 13(2), 1995.
2) C.Py and R.Baptist, "Stability of the emission of microtips", Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 12(2), 1994.
1) C.Py, C.Chapelier, N. El Kamoun & P.Saguet, "An integrated impedance matching network for a piezoelectric transducer in X-Band", Microwave Journal, 34(7), 1991.
Previous work experience
2013-2016: Leader of the Electronics Team of the Information and Communication Technologies portfolio of NRC. Managing 10 people and test and prototyping facilities offered to the different programs of the ICT portfolio, notably Printable Electronics, GaN for RF applications and Advanced Photonic Components for telecom and sensing applications.
2013-2016: Microfabrication and device expert for Printable Electronics application within the Information and Communication Technologies portfolio of NRC. Lead of client project on smart packaging for pharmaceuticals; demonstrated and prototyped the first multiplexed smart blister card, placing NRC and client as leaders in the field. Studied methods to print high-frequency transistors (took one patent), working on test and qualification of electroluminescent devices for client. Promoted to Principal Research officer in 2016.
2005-2013: Led development of an integrated patch-clamp chip array to monitor the activity of synthetic neural networks for applications in rapid drug screening and the study of neurodegenerative diseases. Led microfabrication effort, took 2 patents, developed and transferred manufacturing processes to 2 commercial foundries, and delivered 1000+ prototypes to expert neurobiologists. Chip allowed the world-first recording of action potentials and monitoring of active synapses by patch-clamp chips. Work resulted in the formation of a network of Canadian pharmaceutical companies as well as invited review, editorial and book chapter.
2002- 2005: Co-authored successful 3M$ proposal on Molecular Imprinting Techniques for chemical sensors, funded by the CRTI (federal security initiative). Took US patent on concept, led microfabrication part of project which resulted in world-first demonstration of chemical recognition technique by 2D molecular imprinting.
2000-2004: Led 900k$ National Capital Institute of Telecommunications collaborative project on Organic Materials for Lasers sponsored by Nortel Networks. Proposed, developed and characterised novel materials and lasers and transistors structures for low-cost network components.
1997-2008: Led Organic Materials for Light-Emitting Devices project at the Institute for Microstructural Sciences, National Research Council of Canada. Developed novel microfabrication processes for Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) displays (filed 3 patents), collaborated with synthetic chemists on the study of novel materials (filed 1 patent) and various Canadian companies on display prototypes. Optimized optical design of OLEDs for high color purity and contrast (original design resulted in invited book chapter).
1996-98: Led Field-Emission Displays (FEDs) project, IMS, NRC. At client’s request, developed microfabrication process on silicon platform that led to the first FED prototype in Canada, designed novel cathode architecture to double the brightness of FEDs (US patent).
International experience and/or work
1994-1995: Research Fellow at the Electro-Technical Laboratory, MITI, Japan. Modeled, designed, microfabricated and characterized field-effect emitters for application to FED displays. Proposed a novel voltage comparator based on electron interferometry as well as planar focusing geometries later adopted at CEA, MITI and NRC.
1990-1993: Ph.D. at the Laboratory of Electronics, Technology & Instrumentation of the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), France. Designed and built an electron-optical instrument to characterize field-effect emitters for displays, and observed low-energy electron interferences. Took 2 EU/US patents and studied other applied aspects of FEDs, licensed to PixTech, the world-leading startup in FED displays.
Apr-Sept 1990: Master’s internship at the Laboratory of Cryogenics of the CEA, France. Designed, fabricated and characterized an X-band electromagnetic transducer for an acoustic microscope. This study was rewarded by the French Society of Electricians as the best Master’s thesis in electronics of the INPG.
Jul-Aug 1989: Internship in the Quality Department of SAGEM, a French telecommunications company. Developed calibration procedures in the field of Electro-Magnetic Interferences.