The Photonic devices laboratory offers test and characterization services that complement our core fabrication services. Our team of experts have experience in analysis and testing of discrete devices and optical integrated circuits on both components and high-speed network systems.
Optical device testing
- Passive photonic integrated circuit devices: spectral response, insertion loss, polarization mode dispersion and polarization dependent loss
- Semiconductor laser testing and characterization: light-current-voltage (L-I-V), relative intensity noise, optical phase noise or optical linewidth, quantum efficiency, temperature dependence and optical spectral characterization
- Semiconductor mode-locked laser testing and characterization: time-domain pulse trains, optical spectra, time-bandwidth product, pulse duration, timing jitters, intensity and phase noise of RF beating signals
- Semiconductor laser lifetime testing
- Active optoelectronic device electrical test, including pulse response and dc and low frequency impedance and transconductance measurements from T=80 K to 500 K
- Optical film characterization in the visible and infrared
- Measurement of optical material parameters, including refractive index, absorption and birefringence
Electronic device testing
- Fully automated probe stations for wafer mapping of direct current device characteristics, including those at elevated temperatures
- Radio frequency characterization to 50 GHz
Terabit/s networking test-beds
- Data centre Ethernet systems: PAM-4 at symbol data rate up to 40 GBaud
- Coherent networking systems: QPSK, 8-QAM, 16-QAM, 32-QAM PDM at symbol data rate up to 32 GBaud
Why work with us
The NRC has the largest concentration of expertise and facilities in photonic devices, photonics materials, and semiconductor device fabrication in Canada. Our researchers are internationally recognized leaders in their fields of expertise, which include silicon photonics, high-performance laser design, and material science.
We are the only organization in Canada with a proven ability to support partners in bringing new photonic products from the concept stage, through materials and design development, to early commercialization.
By working with us and making use of our superior technology and technical support, you gain a distinct competitive advantage in the global communications sector.