The Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre (CPFC) provides world-class engineering and manufacturing services, commercial-grade prototyping and pilot-run production facilities. We can fabricate devices in a variety of materials including gallium arsenide (GaAs) and indium phosphide (InP), gallium nitride (GaN), and other substrates. We offer single-step foundry services or end-to-end fabrication of photonic devices, photonic integrated circuits and gallium nitride electronics. The CPFC can also develop new process technologies for our client’s devices.
The Advanced Technology Fabrication (ATF) research facility, located within the CPFC, develops next-generation photonic and electronic components that are at low- to mid-technology readiness levels for a variety of applications: communication, security and sensing. The facility serves as a test-bed for the fabrication proof of concept of novel designs, through to the development of new technology platforms.
Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre
Our experienced team examines the client's requirements and advises on a suitable wafer structure and fabrication process to achieve the device performance necessary for their application. We can use either client-supplied photomasks or develop a new set of masks for the entire process sequence. A custom-designed manufacturing execution system is used for data collection and material tracking throughout the fabrication run. This helps ensure that all fabricated wafers are fully characterized and meet the required specifications.
CPFC is a 40,000 square foot facility with 11,000 square feet of class 100/1000 clean room space providing a comprehensive suite of key processes and supporting ancillary activities.
We offer the following sets of technical services:
- Foundry services including epitaxial growth (MOCVD, MBE, CBE), plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition (PECVD), projection and E-beam lithography, metallization, plasma etching and back-end processing
- Design and modeling for devices and circuits to improve yield, overall design, and circuit performance
- Test and characterization including testing for optical and electronic devices, and surface and materials analysis
Advanced Technology Fabrication R&D facility
Fabrication and process development of the following technologies:
- Silicon photonics prototyping
- C-band multi-wavelength quantum dot laser technologies
- GaSb mid-infrared lasers
- GaN electronics
- III-V quantum technologies
Additional R&D capabilities
- Specialized optical coatings of bars and devices
- Full device testing, characterization and burn-in
- Extensive ex-situ analysis capabilities XPS, SIMS, TEM, Auger, AFM for material and failure analysis
Why work with us
For companies that fabricate wafers in house or that have them outsourced to an external foundry, we offer a consulting service for third-party evaluation/analysis of the resulting wafers.
Our experts add value by helping clients diagnose materials/fabrication-related problems using an extensive suite of test and measurement capabilities. Once a fabrication-related problem has been identified, we work with our clients to suggest corrective measures to remedy the problem. We can also assist clients by reworking wafers within our facilities and/or by engaging them in additional process development at the CPFC.