NRC's Biorefinery pilot plant in Montreal, Quebec is designed to test and validate the scale-up of bioprocesses, reducing the risks and costs associated with full-scale plant construction. The platform is customizable to meet our clients' project needs and process specifications, and further adapted to accommodate high temperatures and pressures. Our platform provides the health and safety infrastructure needed for the testing of reactor prototype scale-up, where toxic and flammable gasses produced are a concern.
Our experts can test and optimize pre-treatments (mechanical, chemical and enzymatic) and post-treatments (upgrading and polishing) for enhancing bioproduct production. Our plant is fully automated and can handle organic suspensions such as:
- industrial waste from breweries, dairies and paper mills
- wastewater sludge
- agricultural wastes and crops
Why work with us
The NRC's technical experts are part of a larger multidisciplinary team and network of engineers, biologists and chemists that specialize in bioconversion of organic residues to value-added products. Together, our facilities and experts provide clients with customized solutions for process design and evaluation, operation optimization, and process instrumentation and control.
- 2,000-litre continuous stirred-tank reactor (CSTR)
- 500-litre upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor
- 4,000-litre refrigerated feed tank for feed storage
- 1,000-litre pre-treatment (chemical or enzymatic) tank
- Digestate filtration system for post-processing of the soluble fraction
- Mechanical pre-treatment equipment (macerator)