Roles and responsibilities
Dr Nkinamubanzi is a senior scientist with a unique expertise combining a well-established command of chemical admixtures science and a strong knowledge of the cement and concrete technology. He has over 25 years of experience in research and development on the interactions between cementitious systems and chemical admixtures in sustainable High Performance Concrete. In July 2015, he received the ACI International Conference Award for his outstanding and sustained contribution associated with the R&D of chemical admixtures for concrete. His expertise covers also the development of testing methods for hydrating cementitious pastes, mortar and concrete incorporating various chemical admixtures, the use of high volumes of conventional and alternative cementitious materials in concrete and the durability of concrete related to the alkali aggregates reactions (AAR) damages and their prevention. He was a key player in numerous national and international projects on the use of chemical admixtures and supplementary cementitious materials (SCMs) in various types of speciality concrete applications and the durability of concrete structures.
Current research and/or projects
- Supplementary and Alternative supplementary cementitious materials (SCMS and ASCMs) to replace part of the cement in Sustainable Concrete (Low Carbon Concrete).
- High performance concrete mix designs using local available materials
- Pervious concrete for flood mitigation
- Environmental Impact on the Damages to Canadian Concrete Dams Caused by the Alkali Silica Reaction (ASR).
Research and/or project statements
The main focus of PCN research activities is the development of innovative concrete materials to reduce the cement and concrete industry environmental footprint (CO2 emissions), in line with the policies of the Government of Canada.
- Sustainable development of cement and concrete - low carbon concrete
- Durability and resiliency of concrete infrastructures
- Preservation of natural resources by the use of industrial by-products
- Specialty concrete mix design (High and Ultra-high Performance Concrete; Pervious Concrete; self-compacting Concrete, Concrete with High Volume of SCMs, etc.).
- PDF sponsored by Handy Chemicals – High Performance Concrete: Department of Civil Engineering- University of Sherbrooke.
- Ph.D., Colloidal chemistry – Admixtures for concrete): University of Sherbrooke
- M.Sc., Physical Chemistry: University of Quebec at Montreal (UQAM)
- B.Sc., Physical Chemistry: University of Quebec at Montreal (UQAM)
- B.Sc., Biochemistry: National University of Rwanda, Rwanda (NUR).
- ACI 212 Committee on Chemical Admixtures (voting member since 2003)
- ASTM C09 Main and C09.23 Chemical Admixtures and C09.50 aggregate reactions in Concrete (voting member).
- CSA A23.1/23.2 Technical Subcommittee on Aggregate Reactions in Concrete
- CSA A3000 Technical Committee on Cementitious materials compendium
- External Jury member for Master and PhD theses (ETS-Montreal, Sherbrooke, Laval, and Western Ontario, Universities).
- Adjunct professor at University of Sherbrooke, since 2001
- ACI Quebec and eastern Ontario Chapter, Board of Directors, since 2019
- Member of Review Panel for the ACI International Conferences, since 2010
- Canadian Thermal Analysis Society - CTAS: (VP:2015-2017: Treasurer: 2010-2015)
- Technical Committee voting member ACI, ASTM, CSA.
- NRC’s 2022 Outstanding Achievement Awards - NRC Collaboration for Innovation (Nemaska Project - A1-015693 Team).
- 2021 Construction Research Centre Partnership Award for exemplary contribution to the Evaluation of the Potential Use of a New Aluminum Silicate in Concrete Formulations and promoting innovation and benefit to Canada by establishing unique collaboration with an emerging industry producing green energy for transportation
- 2015: ACI International Conference Award for his outstanding and sustained contributions associated with the research and development of superplasticizers and other chemical admixtures in concrete
- 2005: NRCan Departmental Award for the successful implementation of the High Volume Fly Ash Concrete (HVFAC) Technology in India
- 2005: CANMET- Mineral and Metal Sector Award for the successful technology transfer of the High Volume Fly Ash Concrete (HVFAC) in India.
- Use of Supplementary Cementitious Materials (SCMs) in Concrete
P-C. Nkinamubanzi and P. H.J. Mercier; “Evaluation of the Potential Use of a New Aluminum Silicate in Green Concrete Products”, Proceedings of the 15Th ACI International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues (RACTSI), Milan (Italy), July 13-15, 2022. ACI Special Publication: SP355-29pp.337-346 (Scopus Indexed).
P.-C. Nkinamubanzi, L. Raki and P. H.J. Mercier, “Evaluation of the Potential Use of a New Aluminum Silicate in Conventional Concrete Formulations”, 11th ACI/RILEM International Conference on Cementitious Materials and Alternative Binders for Sustainable Concrete, ICCM202, Online Conference, June 07 - 10, 2021.
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi, and C. Talbot, “Optimization of the Use of Ground Limestone in Concrete”, 13th International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues, Ottawa, Canada, July 2015, supplementary Papers.
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi; R., Chevrier and B., Fournier; “A Comparative Evaluation of Metakaolin and Silica Fume to Control Alkali-Silica Reaction in Concrete”, 12th International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues, Prague, Czech Rep. 2012.
P.C., Nkinamubanzi, Baalbaki, J., Bickley, and P.C., Aïtcin; 1998; Slag in HPC. World Cement, October 1998. pp. 97–103.
P.-C. Nkinamubanzi, A. Bilodeau, N. Bouzoubaâ, and M. Ashraf; “High-Volume Fly Ash Concrete in India: Compressive Strength Development of Concrete with Materials from Various Sources, and Guidelines for Proportioning”; Ninth CANMET/ACI International Conference on Fly Ash, Silica fume, Slag and Natural Pozzolans in Concrete, Warsaw, Poland, May 20-25 2007.
A. Bilodeau, N. Bouzoubaâ, P.-C. Nkinamubanzi, B. Fournier and V. Sivasundaram; High-Volume Fly Ash Applications in India; Ninth CANMET/ACI International Conference on Fly Ash, Silica fume, Slag and Natural Pozzolans in Concrete, Warsaw (Poland), May 20-25, 2007, pp 451-481.
Fournier, B., Nkinamubanzi, P.C., Lu, D., Thomas, M.D.A., Folliard, K. and Ideker, J. Evaluating Potential Alkali-Reactivity of Concrete Aggregates – How Reliable are the Current and new Test Methods ?, 8th Int. CANMET-ACI Conf. on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology – Marc-André Bérubé Symposium on Alkali-aggregate Reaction (AAR) in Concrete, Montreal (Canada), May 2006, Proceedings edited by B. Fournier, CANMET-MTL., pp. 21-44.
Bilodeau, A., Sivasundaram, V., Bouzoubaâ, N., Fournier, B. and Nkinamubanzi, P.-C., “Implementation of High-Volume Fly Ash Concrete in India for Sustainable Development” Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Cement and Concrete, Foreign Language Press, Beijing, 2006, pp. 807-814.
P. C. Nkinamubanzi, A. Bilodeau, C. Jolicoeur, and D. M. Golden; Air-Entraining Admixtures for Use with Fly Ashes Having High Carbon Contents; ACI SP 217-36; Seventh CANMET/ACI International Conference on Superplasticizers and Other Chemicals Admixtures in Concrete, Berlin, Germany, October 2003
P. -C., Nkinamubanzi, and P. -C., Aïtcin; The use of Slag in Cement and Concrete in a Sustainable Development Perspective; Ciments, Bétons, Plâtres, Chaux; 2000, n°2, pp.116-125.
Kessal, M, Nkinamubanzi, P-C, Tagnit-Hamou, A, and Aitcin, P-C: “Improving initial strength of a concrete made with Type 20M cement”, Cem., Concr., and Aggr., Vol. 18, No.1 1996, June, p. 49.
- Chemical Admixtures and Concrete Technology
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi, S.Montellato, and R. FlattP.-C., Aïtcin; “Superplastcizers in Practice”, in “The Science and Technology od Concrete Chemical Admixtures”, by P.-C. Aïtcin and R. Flatt Elsivier,2016. Translated in Chinese and Spanish.
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi and P.-C., Aïtcin; “Complex Admixture Combinations”; Concrete international, Vol.31, No5, May 2009; p. 22.
P.-C. Nkinamubanzi, and N. Bouzoubaâ, “Effect of the Superplasticizer’s Type on the Properties of High Volume Fly Ash Mortars”, Ninth ACI International Conference on Superplasticizers and Other Chemical Admixtures in Concrete and Tenth ACI International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues, October 12-16, 2009, Seville, Spain. Supplementary Papers, pp.403-409.
P.-C. Nkinamubanzi, A. Bhattacharya and A. Sharma; Combination of Admixtures to Improve the Robustness of High-volume Fly Ash concrete in Hot Weather; Eighth CANMET/ACI International Conference on Superplasticizers and other chemical admixtures in Concrete (Sorrento, Italy, October 2006.
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi and P.-C., Aïtcin; Cement and Superplasticizer Combinations: Compatibility and Robustness; Cem, Concr. and Aggr., Vol.26, No2, Dec.2004; pp. 102-109
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi; B.-G., Kim and P.-C., Aïtcin; Key Cement Factors Controlling the Compatibility between Naphthalene-based Superplasticizers and Ordinary Portland Cements; L’Industria Italiana Del Cemento, February 2002, pp.192-202. Translated in French, Spanish and Italian.
Jolicoeur, C.; Nkinamubanzi, P.-C.; Simard M.-A.; Piotte, M.; "Progress in Understanding the Functional Properties of Superplasticizers in Fresh Concrete; Proceedings of The Fourth CANMET/ACI International conference on Superplasticizers and other Admixtures in Concrete. Montreal, October 1994; P.68.
Simard, M.A; Nkinamubanzi, P.-C.; Jolicoeur, C.; Perraton, D. and Aïctin, P.C; Calorimetry, Rheology, and Compressive Strength of Superplasticized Cement Paste; Cem. Concr. Res., Vol.23, pp.939-950, 1993.
- Chemistry of cement
Nachbaur, L.; Nkinamubanzi, P.-C.; Nonat A. and Mutin, J.-C.; “Electrokinetic properties which control the coagulation of silicate cement suspensions during early age hydration”; J Colloid Interface Sci 202:261- 268(1998).
Nachbaur, L.; Nkinamubanzi, P.-C.; Nonat A. and Mutin, J.-C.; "Electrokinetic properties of C-S-H in relation with coagulation"; Second RILEM Workshop on Hydration and Setting; June 11-13, 1997, Dijon, France.
Nkinamubanzi, P.C., "Propriétés Électrocinétiques des suspensions de ciment en cours d'hydratation: Utilisation du DELSA 440", Réunion PIRMAT ATILH sur les matériaux granulaires et cohésifs, ESPCI, 16 Nov. 1994, Paris.
- Durability of Concrete and Alkali-Silica Reactivity (ASR)
D. J. De Souza, M. T. de Grazia, H. F. Macedo, L. F. M. Sanchez, G. P. de Andrade, O.Naboka, G. Fathifazl, and P.-C. Nkinamubanzi; “Influence of the Mix Proportion and Aggregate Features on the Performance of Eco-Efficient Fine Recycled Concrete Aggregate Mixtures”; Materials 2022, 15, 1355, https://doi.org/10.3390/ma15041355, 12 February 2022.
C. Trottier, M.T. de Grazia, H. F. Macedo, L. F. M. Sanchez, G. P. de Andrade, D. J. de Souza, O. Naboka, G. Fathifazl, P.-C. Nkinamubanzi, and A. Demers; “Freezing and Thawing Resistance of Fine Recycled Concrete Aggregate (FRCA) Mixtures Designed with Distinct Techniques”; Materials 2022, 15, 1342. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma15041342, 11 February 2022.
Fournier B., Bilodeau A., Bouzoubaâ N. and P-C. Nkinamubanzi ; Field and Laboratory Investigations on the Use of Fly Ash and LI-Based Admixtures to Prevent ASR in Concrete, Materials Science, 2019.
C. Tremblay, M. A. Bérubé, B. Fournier, M. D. A. Thomas, K. J. Folliard, and P. C. Nkinamubanzi; “Use of the Accelerated Mortar Bar Test to Evaluate the Effectiveness of LiNO3 against Alkali-Silica Reaction—Part 1: Pore Solution Chemistry and Influence of Various Parameters”; Journal of ASTM International, Vol. 5, No. 8, September 2008.
C. Tremblay, M. A. Bérubé, B. Fournier, M. D. A. Thomas, K. J. Folliard, and P. C. Nkinamubanzi; " Use of the Accelerated Mortar Bar Test to Evaluate the Effectiveness of LiNO3 Against Alkali-Silica Reaction—Part 2: Comparison with Results from the Concrete Prism Test"; Journal of ASTM International, Vol. 5, No. 8; September 2008
P.-C., Nkinamubanzi; R., Chevrier and B., Fournier; Use of Accelerated Tests for Evaluating the Effectiveness of Fly Ash and Ternary Cementitious Systems to Control Alkali-Silica Reactivity in Concrete; Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting; Taylor& Francis, Taylor &Francis Group plc, London, UK 2006, p.72.
Fournier, B., Nkinamubanzi, P.C. and Chevrier, R. Comparative field and laboratory investigations on the use of supplementary cementing materials to control alkali-silica reaction in concrete. 12th Int. conf. on Alkali-aggregate Reaction (AAR) in Concrete, Beijing (China), October 2004, Proceedings edited by Tang, M. and Deng, International Academic Publishers, Beijing World Publishing Corp., Vol. 1: 528-537.
J.F. Fiset, J.M. Zinck, and P.C. Nkinamubanzi ; Chemical stabilization of metal hydroxide sludge, Proceedings of Conference on Mines and tailing Waste, 2003, Vail, Colorado, U.S.A., p. 329.
Previous work experience
- Since August 2008: Research Officer at NRC Construction Research Centre
- March 2000 – July 2008: Research Scientist, CANMET- MMS/MTL, Natural Resources Canada
- April1997- March 2000: Research Associate, Civil Engineering Department, University of Sherbrooke
- Fall 1994: CNRS-France Research associate, Burgundy University
- 1984 –1987: Assistant Professor, National University of Rwanda, Chemistry Department.
International experience and/or work
- Advisory Committee of the ACI International Conference on Chemical Admixtures for Concrete and on the Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues, since 2001
- Steering Committee of the ACI/RILEM International Conference on Cementitious materials and Alternative Binders for Sustainable Concrete (ICCM), since 2001
- Review panel for the ACI International Conferences, since 2008
- Technology Transfer of the High Volume Fly Ash Concrete (HVFAC) in India, (2001-2005)
- CNRS-France: Research Associate, Burgundy University, Dijon, France, 1994.