Roles and responsibilities
- As a Research Officer, my aim is to solve complicated questions by simple solutions, proposed novel ideas for ongoing projects, and improve quality of research in any aspects that I know.
- My Expertise is more on, but not limited to, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Signal and Image Processing, and Data mining.
- I am currently working with Fire Safety Team at Construction Research Centre. Previously, I worked for two years in Metrology Research Centre, as an Machine Learning expert for enhancing analytical tools in vibrational spectroscopy.
- Electrical Engineering is another part of my research life, I am a fan of IoT (Internet of Things), Robotics, and Automations. Working with microcontrollers, PLCs, designing sensors, and in general digital and analogue electronics are topics that sometimes I work on in my free-time.
- Other fields that I am going to discover in my new rule:
- Risk assessment in fire incidents such as wild fire and room fire as well as smart buildings and emerging technologies
- Virtual reality for behavior of people in fire incidents
- Flame and smoke analysis for early flashover detection
- Detection of hazardous material in fire incidents for safe transportation
Current research and/or projects
- Early flashover detection in room fire incidents using infrared imaging technology and artificial intelligence.
- Accomplished projects:
- Addressing analytical requirements in Metrology calibration. Applying Machine Learning for different applications including Raman spectrum analysis and hyperspectral pattern recognition.
- Proposed new ideas for remote sensing, spectroscopy data mining, and hyperspectral analysis using deep learning.
- Computer vision and deep learning are two main novel tools for spectroscopy that I added knowledge to the field by novel techniques from machine learning domain.
Research and/or project statements
- With advent of novel artificial intelligent techniques for pattern recognition and optimization, conventional non-automatic techniques are going to be substituted by these state-of-the-art methods.
- Artificial intelligence is one of the feature tools for construction and fire safety to design smart and efficient buildings, safer and clean environments, and cheaper technology.
- Collaboration with industry and academia is a great way to achieve construction mandates.
- Infrared technology is a unique way of imaging where human eyes can't see those details in the scene. With IR imaging, we can study nuances in heat transfer between objects which we couldn't see by regular imaging techniques.
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) University of Ottawa, Canada, 2020
- M.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering-Electronics) University of Birjand, Iran, 2012
- Supervising students in computer science and machine learning field
- Deep learning for various applications from medical to engineering problems
- Publishing high quality reports and scientific papers
- Collaboration with other researcher for solving their problems with the help of artificial intelligence
- Fire and smoke analysis for investigation, safety, criminology, forensics, detection, and prevention
- Risk assessment in wild fire, enclosed fire, and industry
- Virtual reality for human behavior study in fire incidents
- Research and Teacher Assistant at the University of Ottawa for 5 years.
- 2021 New Beginning Initiative - Round 3 - In a collaboration with University of Ottawa - Supervising one Ph.D. student and got revenue of 50K for the team in Metrology Research Centre.
- 2015 Ontario Trillium Scholarship (OTS) – This award is dedicated to the excellent international student across the whole Ontario province who has significant background academic achievements.
- 2015 International Admission Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to the best international student over the University of Ottawa who has significant past educational accomplishments.
- 2010, 2012 Iranian Elite Scholarships for Master's and Ph.D. studies with no examination for entrance as the topest student in the university.
- Level I thermographer
- Ontario Engineer In Training
Inventions and patents
I could patents two inventions in 2012. Details are in my resume.
see my google scholar for the updated version:
Previous work experience
- 2020–2022 Full-time Job, National Research Council Canada (NRC), Ottawa, Canada, Assistant Research Officer (PDF).
- 2015-2020-Research and Teaching Assistant at the University of Ottawa.
International experience and/or work
- 2013–2015 Contracted Job, Arshad Sazeh Toos, Tehran, Iran, Electrical Especialist in Civil Projects, Network Cameras and Security installation and maintenance.
- 2012–2013 Contracted Job, Nian Electronics Company, Mashhad, Iran, Sealed Lead Acid Battery Department and Solar panels as an Electrical Engineer and Selling Expert, http://www.nianelectronic.com/en.
- 2011–2012 Contracted Job, Alton Power Company, Mashhad, Iran, Energy Audit Expert, http://www.altonpower.com/default.aspx.
- 2009–2010 Part-time Job, Maham Shargh Company, Mashhad, Iran, Summer Internship for 3 months. After internship, part-time job: Working as a Research Expert in Power Financial Markets, http://www.msgroup.ir/en/
Mohammad Hamed (Hamed) Mozaffari Maaref
Assistant Research Officer
1200 Montreal Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0R6
Preferred language: English
Other(s): English, Persian, French
Information Technology, Artificial Intelligence, Image Analytics, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Neural Network, Big Data, Computer Vision, Analyzing, Data Science, Data and Text Mining, Electronics