Roles and responsibilities
I am a research officer and head the Polymer Bioproducts team at the Automotive and Surface Transportation Research Centre (AST). This team comprises researchers and technicians specializing in polymer processing and chemistry. Our mission is to develop polymers and composites with a small environmental footprint to meet the needs of tomorrow’s industry.
I like to take part in initiatives that take me out of my comfort zone! In 2018, I had the opportunity to participate in the development of new NRC Challenge Programs by heading a working group on new generation materials. Part of our proposal dealing with an accelerated discovery platform for new materials was incorporated into the “Energy Materials” Challenge Program and will be developed in collaboration with the “Artificial Intelligence” Challenge Program.
Since 2018, I've been supporting Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) in the development of Canada’s national strategy on plastics. This strategy, to be unveiled in 2019, aims to reduce plastic pollution. My objective for 2019 is to position my team as Canada’s scientific leader in this field, thereby contributing to a more environmentally friendly industry!
Current research and/or projects
- Biosourced polymer products
- Compostable polymer products
- Lightweight thermoplastic composites
- Functional or smart polymers
- 2008: PhD in Chemical Engineering (polymer engineering), École Polytechnique de Montréal
- 2002: MSc in Chemical Engineering (polymer engineering), École Polytechnique de Montréal
- 2000: Diploma in Materials Science and Engineering, National Institute of Applied Sciences, Lyon, France
- 2018: Instant Award from the NRC Division of Transportation and Manufacturing for my contribution to the development of new NRC Challenge programs
- 2016: Leadership Award from the NRC Automotive and Surface Transportation Research Centre (AST)
- K. Stoeffler, L.A. Utracki, Y. Simard, S. Labonté, Polyamide 12 (PA12)/clay nanocomposites fabricated by conventional extrusion and water-assisted extrusion processes (2013), Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 130 (3), pp. 1959-1974.
- K. Stoeffler, S. Andjelic, N. Legros, J. Roberge, S. Schougaard, Polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) composites reinforced with recycled carbon fiber (2013), Composites Science and Technology, 84, pp. 65-71.
- H. Rokni, A.S. Milani, R.J. Seethaler, K. Stoeffler, Improvement in dynamic properties of laminated MWCNT-polystyrene composite beams via an integrated numerical-experimental approach (2012), Composite Structures, 94 (8), pp. 2538-2547.
- R.A. Fraser, K. Stoeffler, B. Ashrafi, Y. Zhang, B. Simard, Large-scale production of PMMA/SWCNT composites based on SWCNT modified with PMMA (2012), ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 4 (4), pp. 1990-1997.
- K. Stoeffler, P.G. Lafleur, F. Perrin-Sarazin, M.N. Bureau, J. Denault (2011), Micro-mechanisms of deformation in polyethylene/clay micro- and nanocomposites (2011), Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 42 (8), pp. 916-927.
- B. Ung, A. Dupuis, K. Stoeffler, C. Dubois, M. Skorobogatiy, High-refractive-index composite materials for terahertz waveguides: Trade-off between index contrast and absorption loss (2011) Journal of the Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, 28 (4), pp. 917-921.
- A. Dupuis, K. Stoeffler, B. Ung, C. Dubois, M.. Skorobogatiy, Transmission measurements of hollow-core THz Bragg fibers (2011), Journal of the Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, 28 (4), pp. 896-907.
- K. Stoeffler, F. Perrin-Sarazin, M.T. Ton-That, C. Bélanger, J. Denault (2010), Dispersion of commercial multi-walled and single-walled carbon nanotubes in high density polyethylene, Journal of Nanostructured Polymers and Nanocomposites, 6 (4), 128-135.
- K. Stoeffler, C. Dubois, A. Ajji, N. Guo, F. Boismenu, M. Skorobogatiy (2010), Fabrication of all-polymeric photonic bandgap bragg fibers using rolling of coextruded PS/PMMA multilayer films, Polymer Engineering and Science, 50(6), 1122-1127.
- A. Dupuis, J-F. Allard, D. Morris, K. Stoeffler, C. Dubois, M. Skorobogatiy (2009), Fabrication and THz loss measurements of porous subwavelength fibers using a directional coupler method, Optics Express 17 (10), 8012-8028.
- B. Gauvreau, N. Guo, K. Schicker, K. Stoeffler, F. Boismenu, A. Ajji, R. Wingfield, C. Dubois, M. Skorobogatiy (2008), Color-changing and color-tunable photonic bandgap fiber textiles, Optics Express, 16(20), 15677-93.
- K. Stoeffler, P.G. Lafleur, J. Denault (2008), Effect of the intercalating agent on clay dispersion and thermal properties in polyethylene/organoclay nanocomposites, Polymer Engineering and Science, 48(8), 1449-1466.
- K. Stoeffler, P.G. Lafleur, J. Denault (2008), Thermal decomposition of various alkyl onium organoclays: effect on polyethylene terephtalate nanocomposites properties, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 93(7), 1332-1350.
- K. Stoeffler, P.G. Lafleur, J. Denault (2008), The effect of clay dispersion on the properties of LLDPE/LLDPE-g-MAH/ montmorillonite nanocomposites, Polymer Engineering and Science 48 (12), 2459-2473.
- S.A. Hashemi, R. Sahraian, P.G. Lafleur, K. Stoeffler (2006), Focus ion beam preparation of transmission electron microscope sample in polymer clay nanocomposite, Iranian Polymer Journal, 15(7), 539-545.