Roles and responsibilities
Associate Research Officer, Team Leader, Advanced Biomaterials and Chemical Synthesis team in ACRD-Montreal.
Current research and/or projects
- Transformation of marine and terrestrial biomass into value-added products
- Development of catalysts for the production of bio-based chemicals
- Biodegradable materials for energy storage
Research and/or project statements
Previously served as the Technical Service Lead for the Bio-based Specialty Chemicals Program (2016-2018).
- Championed chemistry-based leads, built long-term client relationships, and oversaw the development and execution of technical services projects
- Engaged international stakeholders in research activities and dialog that promote the conversion of lignocellulosic biomass into high-value consumers and industrial products
- Organized conference and trade-show events to promote NRC and BSC program activities
Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Toronto, 2007
B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, University of British Columbia, 2001
2018 NRC-ACRD Award of Recognition for Client Focus
2018 NRC-ACRD Award of Recognition Outstanding Team Player
Inventions and patents
Luong, John H., Edmond Lam, Chi Woon Leung, Sabahudin Hrapovic, and Keith B. Male. "Chitin Nanocrystals and Process for Preparation Thereof." PCT/CA2014/051084, filed September 22, 2016.
Leung, Chi Woon, John HT Luong, Sabahudin Hrapovic, Edmond Lam, Yali Liu, Keith B. Male, Khaled Mahmoud, and Denis Rho. "Cellulose nanocrystals from renewable biomass." U.S. Patent 8,900,706, issued December 2, 2014.
Lam, Edmond, and John HT Luong. "Carbon materials as catalyst supports and catalysts in the transformation of biomass to fuels and chemicals." ACS Catalysis 4, no. 10 (2014): 3393-3410.
Lam, Edmond, Sabahudin Hrapovic, Ehsan Majid, Jonathan H. Chong, and John HT Luong. "Catalysis using gold nanoparticles decorated on nanocrystalline cellulose." Nanoscale 4, no. 3 (2012): 997-1002.
Lam, Edmond, Ehsan Majid, Alfred CW Leung, Jonathan H. Chong, Khaled A. Mahmoud, and John HT Luong. "Synthesis of furfural from xylose by heterogeneous and reusable Nafion catalysts." ChemSusChem 4, no. 4 (2011): 535-541.