Roles and responsibilities
Senior Research Officer in Text Analytics
Team Leader, Text Analytics team
Current research and/or projects
By conducting research in medical text analytics that is both practically applicable and world class, I aim to advance the science in text analytics, as well as contribute to the advancement of medical sciences.
Research and/or project statements
- Research in applying text analytics to biomedical scientific publications for improved knowledge discovery and knowledge synthesis processes.
- Research in applying text analytics to clinical text for accelerating epidemiological and clinical studies.
- Accelerating research through team leadership, peer review contributions, journal editor activities, etc.
- Contributed to development of the renewed version of GPHIN, the Global Public Health Information Network
- Research interest in ethical, responsible, and sustainable AI
B.Sc. Electronics, Eindhoven University of Technology
M.Sc. Communication technologies and sciences, Eindhoven University of Technology,
Ph. D. Medical Informatics, Maastricht University
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA)
- Scientific Program Committee, American Medical Informatics Association Annual Meeting;
- Scientific Program Committee, CanadianAI
- Project lead, several projects in medical text analytics
Member of AMIA (American Medical Informatics Association)
Associate Editor for JAMIA (Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association)
NRC Certificate of Excellence 2018 for work on GPHIN
OCRI awards 2011: Health Innovation Award for ILI-watch with Ottawa Public Health
- ExaCT: automatic extraction of clinical trial characteristics from journal publications -- BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2010 10, no. 56 (28 September 2010). https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/object/?id=44149715-dfc1-4f4f-90ff-ef601c500765
- PreBIND and textomy: mining the biomedical literature for protein-protein interactions using a support vector machine -- BMC Bioinformatics 4, no. 11 (27 March 2003). https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/object/?id=488f66b6-9e7d-4ac5-8771-ee3c60e594fd
- Getting to the (C)ore of Knowledge: Mining Biomedical Literature -- International Journal of Medical Informatics 67, no. 1-3 (14 November 2002): 7–18. https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/object/?id=6a2301f4-98a6-4b7e-8b4d-3f2544a0e4df
- Machine-learned solutions for three stages of clinical information extraction : the state of the art at i2b2 2010 -- Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 18, no. 5 (12 May 2011): 557–562. https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/object/?id=f659c8ba-d746-4b39-9d1b-eb7edd9641b3
Previous work experience
01/1998-11/1999: Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Ottawa School for Information Technology and Engineering.
1991-1992: Researcher, TNO Institute for Perception (now Operations and Human Factors), The Netherlands
International experience and/or work
Completed my studies (BSc, MSc, PhD) in The Netherlands. Participated in numerous conferences in North America and Europe.
Collaborated in a multi-national consortium led by Philips Research (The Netherlands) in a four-year European Union funded project.
Scientific Advisory Board member for two multi-year projects: one with University College London and IBM Watson, and another with Johns Hopkins University and Brown University.