Direct access to codes and user's guides in electronic format!
Codes and user's guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
The National Plumbing Code of Canada (NPC) 2020, developed by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes and published by the National Research Council of Canada, sets out technical requirements for the design and installation of new plumbing systems, as well as the extension, alteration, renewal and repair of existing plumbing systems.
Over 50 technical changes have been incorporated in this new edition, improving the level of safety, health, water-use efficiency, and protection from water and sewage damage provided by the Code, and expanding design and material options.
Significant changes in the NPC 2020
- Fibrocement pipe and fittings are included as alternatives to asbestos-cement materials, which were removed from the NPC 2015 as an interim change.
- Other new plumbing materials are added as options, including polyethylene of raised temperature (PE-RT) tube, cellular core polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe, and their fittings.
- The maximum temperature for water discharging from shower heads or into bathtubs is reduced in health-care facilities and seniors' residences to prevent scalding.
- Gate valves and screw caps, which require manual intervention, are removed as options for backflow protection to reduce the risk of basement flooding.
- Design requirements for non-potable rainwater harvesting systems are introduced to facilitate the collection and use of rainwater.
- Binder $55.00 CAD
- Soft cover $50.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive
For questions about Code licensing, sales, technical support, to obtain accessible copies, or to learn about other accommodations, please contact the NRC's Codes Canada team.