Direct access to codes and user's guides in electronic format!
Codes and user's guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
eBook format: Available from eVantage in eBook format. Note that the eVantage eBook contains additional functionality and is not a free product. To purchase, visit the eVantage on-line store.
The National Fire Code of Canada (NFC) 2020, developed by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes and published by the National Research Council of Canada, sets out technical requirements for:
- activities related to the construction, use or demolition of buildings and facilities
- the condition of specific elements of buildings and facilities
- the design or construction of specific elements of facilities related to certain hazards
- protection measures for the current or intended use of buildings
Nearly 40 technical changes have been incorporated in this new edition, improving the level of safety, health and fire protection provided by the Code, and expanding the NFC into new areas.
Significant changes in the NFC 2020
- Technical requirements for large farm buildings are added, which address the inspection of mechanical equipment and electrical systems, the control of flammable gases and vapours, and the storage of flammable or combustible liquids.
- Fire safety plan requirements are consolidated to facilitate compliance and enforcement.
- Classifications are established for 5 widely used water-miscible liquid mixtures to ensure that appropriate fire safety measures are applied in their storage, handling, use and processing.
- Measures are included to address fire safety during the construction of encapsulated mass timber buildings.
- Binder $65.00 CAD
- Soft cover $60.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive
For questions about Code licensing, sales, technical support, to obtain accessible copies, or to learn about other accommodations, please contact the NRC's Codes Canada team.