Direct access to codes and user's guides in electronic format!
Codes and user's guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
The National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings (NECB) 2020, developed by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes with the support of Natural Resources Canada, and published by the National Research Council of Canada, sets out technical requirements for the energy-efficient design and construction of new buildings and additions.
Several technical changes have been incorporated in this new edition, improving the level of energy efficiency provided by the Code and expanding compliance options.
Significant changes in the NECB 2020
- The application of the Code is extended to cover alterations, such as tenant improvements, to buildings originally constructed in accordance with the NECB.
- Maximum overall thermal transmittance values for opaque building assemblies and fenestration are reduced to improve the thermal performance of the building envelope.
- Whole-building airtightness testing is introduced as an option for complying with air leakage requirements.
- Lighting power densities are updated to reflect improvements in the efficacy of lighting products.
- Performance requirements for heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) and service water heating equipment are updated to align them with relevant standards and regulations.
- The trade-off compliance paths for HVAC and service water systems, which were complex and not widely used, are removed.
- A new compliance path with 4 energy performance tiers is introduced to provide a framework for achieving higher levels of energy efficiency in buildings.
- Binder $65.00 CAD
- Soft cover $60.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive
For questions about Code licensing, sales, technical support, to obtain accessible copies, or to learn about other accommodations, please contact the NRC's Codes Canada team.