New direct access to codes and user’s guides in electronic format!
Codes and user’s guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are now available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
eBook format: Available from eVantage in eBook format. Note that the eVantage eBook contains additional functionality and is not a free product. To purchase, visit the eVantage on-line store.
The Illustrated User’s Guide – NBC 2015: Part 9 of Division B, Housing and Small Buildings features hundreds of graphics, examples and formulas. This latest edition includes updated illustrations that are more consistent with common architectural rendering and more easily understood.
The User’s Guide helps builders and designers understand the National Building Code 2015 as it applies to them. The Guide illustrates important principles of minimum accepted practice and explains the reasons and scientific background behind the Part 9 requirements. This is not a how-to guide on home construction; however, relevant code information is cross-referenced and statistical sources are provided.
Table of contents
- The National Building Code
- Part 9:
- Notable Changes Affecting Part 9 in NBC 2015
- Section 9.1.: General
- Section 9.2.: Definitions
- Section 9.3.: Materials, Systems and Equipment
- Section 9.4.: Structural Requirements
- Section 9.5.: Design of Areas and Spaces
- Section 9.6.: Glass
- Section 9.7.: Windows, Doors and Skylights
- Section 9.8.: Stairs, Ramps, Handrails and Guards
- Section 9.9.: Means of Egress
- Section 9.10.: Fire Protection
- Section 9.11.: Sound Transmission
- Section 9.12.: Excavation
- Section 9.13.: Dampproofing, Waterproofing and Soil Gas Control
- Section 9.14.: Drainage
- Section 9.15.: Footings and Foundations
- Section 9.16.: Floors-on-Ground
- Section 9.17.: Columns
- Section 9.18.: Crawl Spaces
- Section 9.19.: Roof Spaces
- Section 9.20.: Masonry and Insulating Concrete Form Walls Not In Contact with the Ground
- Section 9.21.: Masonry and Concrete Chimneys and Flues
- Section 9.22.: Fireplaces
- Section 9.23.: Wood-Frame Construction
- Section 9.24.: Sheet Steel Stud Wall Framing
- Section 9.25.: Heat Transfer, Air Leakage and Condensation Control
- Section 9.26.: Roofing
- Section 9.27.: Cladding
- Section 9.28.: Stucco
- Section 9.29.: Interior Wall and Ceiling Finishes
- Section 9.30.: Flooring
- Section 9.31.: Plumbing Facilities
- Section 9.32.: Ventilation
- Section 9.33.: Heating and Air-conditioning
- Section 9.34.: Electrical Facilities
- Section 9.35.: Garages and Carports
- Section 9.36.: Energy Efficiency
- Appendix A: Symbols and Other Abbreviations
- Appendix B: Abbreviations of Proper Names
- Soft Cover $75.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive