New direct access to codes and user’s guides in electronic format!
Codes and user’s guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are now available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
eBook format: Available from eVantage in eBook format. Note that the eVantage eBook contains additional functionality and is not a free product. To purchase, visit the eVantage on-line store.
This User’s Guide combines two earlier publications, the National Housing Code of Canada 1998 and Illustrated Guide and the User’s Guide – NBC 1995 Housing and Small Buildings (Part 9), into one comprehensive document that describes various compliance approaches, including examples and supporting formulas. To facilitate navigation, the User’s Guide has been reorganized to match the format used in Part 9 of the National Building Code of Canada (NBC).
This illustrated User's Guide features new material on energy efficiency requirements for housing and small buildings and includes updates to match the provisions that were changed or introduced in the 2005 and 2010 editions of the NBC. The User’s Guide illustrates important principles of minimum accepted practice and explains the reasons and scientific background behind the Part 9 requirements. This is not a how-to guide on home construction; however, relevant code information is cross-referenced and statistical sources are provided.
Table of contents
- The National Building Code (NBC)
- Part 9
- New Part 9 Requirements in NBC 2005 and 2010
- Section 9.1.: General
- Section 9.2.: Definitions
- Section 9.3.: Materials, Systems and Equipment
- Section 9.4.: Structural Requirements
- Section 9.5.: Design of Areas and Spaces
- Section 9.6.: Glass
- Section 9.7.: Windows, Doors and Skylights
- Section 9.8.: Stairs, Ramps, Handrails and Guards
- Section 9.9.: Means of Egress
- Section 9.10.: Fire Protection
- Section 9.11.: Sound Control
- Section 9.12.: Excavation
- Section 9.13.: Dampproofing, Waterproofing and Soil Gas Control
- Section 9.14.: Drainage
- Section 9.15.: Footings and Foundations
- Section 9.16.: Floors-on-Ground
- Section 9.17.: Columns
- Section 9.18.: Crawl Spaces
- Section 9.19.: Roof Spaces
- Section 9.20.: Masonry and Insulating Concrete Form Walls Not In Contact with the Ground
- Section 9.21.: Masonry and Concrete Chimneys and Flues
- Section 9.22.: Fireplaces
- Section 9.23.: Wood-Frame Construction
- Section 9.24.: Sheet Steel Stud Wall Framing
- Section 9.25.: Heat Transfer, Air Leakage and Condensation Control
- Section 9.26.: Roofing
- Section 9.27.: Cladding
- Section 9.28.: Stucco
- Section 9.29.: Interior Wall and Ceiling Finishes
- Section 9.30.: Flooring
- Section 9.31.: Plumbing Facilities
- Section 9.32.: Ventilation
- Section 9.33.: Heating and Air-conditioning
- Section 9.34.: Electrical Facilities
- Section 9.35.: Garages and Carports
- Section 9.36.: Energy Efficiency
- Appendix A: Symbols and Other Abbreviations
- Appendix B: Abbreviations of Proper Names
- Soft Cover $75.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive